For the eye, it must have tears for healthy functioning and tears are beneficial for keeping them comfortable. but if the eyes do not have sufficient tears or do not release tears then it may cause dry eyes syndrome. so if you are suffering from Dry Eye Syndrome then this article will be beneficial for you so stay tuned till the end.
Dry Eye Syndrome:-
When eyes do not produce adequate tears to lubricate them then it causes Dry eye syndrome. it is a very common type of syndrome. if anyone has this condition then it may cause eye surface damage and inflammation.
Types of Dry Eye Syndrome:-
Below are two types of dry eye syndrome.
- Evaporative Dry Eye:- In this condition, the meibomian glands of the eyes do not produce an adequate outer lipid layer of tears and it results in evaporation of tears.
- Aqueous Tear-deficient Dry Eye:- In this condition, the lacrimal glands in the eyes do not release a middle aqueous layer of tears. and its results in lower production of tears.
Symptoms of Dry Eye Syndrome:-
You can experience the following symptoms of Dry Eye Syndrome
- Redness in the eyes
- Eyes burning
- Eyes pain
There are some common symptoms of dry eyes these are
- Watery tearing
- Stringy mucus
- Feel difficulty in front of a computer or reading for a long duration
- Blurr vision
- Feel sand in the eyes
- Feel heaviness in the eyes
Causes of Dry Eye Syndrome:-
Tears have three layers
- A watery middle layer
- The outer oily layer
- An inner mucus layer
if glands are inflamed and get failed to produce sufficient mucus, oil, or water then it may cause dry eye syndrome. and if there is a lack of oil in the tears then it can lead to quick evaporation and eyes cannot maintain the moisture supply.
Below are some treatments or conditions that may cause dry eye syndrome
- Wearing contact lenses for a long time
- Getting hormone replacement therapy
- Lasik eye surgery
- Taking certain medications for example birth control pills, nasal decongestants, antidepressants, and antihistamines
- Computer uses for a long time
- Not blinking adequately
Risk Factors of Dry Eye Syndrome:-
The dry eye depends on gender or particular age group or any chronic diseases or some conditions those are below:-
- If anyone’s age is more than 50 then the production of tears decreases, then you may suffer from dry eyes
- Mainly lower production of tears is in women. it is due to hormonal changes during pregnancy, menopause, or birth control pills consumption.
- If anyone wearing contact lenses for a long time
- Any medical history of undergoing refractive surgery
- If suffering from thyroid or other diseases that push eyes forward, then it may cause dry eyes
- If you have immune system disorders, lupus, or rheumatoid arthritis
- Sleeping with partially open eyes causes keratitis it can also lead to dry eye syndrome
Diagnosis of Dry Eyes Syndrome:-
You should consult a doctor immediately for treatment if you feel any symptoms of dry eye syndrome. the doctor will conduct the following test to assess the cause of dry eyes
- Full eye checkup:- Doctor will check the full eye so that they will get to know the overall health of your eyes and they can conclude the cause of dry eyes
- Test to check the volume of tears:- There is a test known as the Schirmer test which will assess the volume of your tears production. In this test, the doctor places blotting strips of paper under the lower eyelids. then after some time, they will check how much tears soaked the strips. One alternative test may be conducted by a doctor which is the phenol red thread test. in this test, they will place thread filled with pH-Sensitive color over your lower eyelid. after some seconds of being wet with tears, they will measure the volume of your tears.
- Osmolarity tear test:- in this test, the composition of water and particles in your tears will be checked by a doctor. if you will have dry eyes then the amount of water will be less in your eyes.
- Check the quality of tears:- In this test, a doctor uses a particular dye in eye drops to know the surface condition of your eyes. then they will check the staining pattern or the corneas and will determine the amount it takes before the evaporation of your tears.
- Samples of tears:- the doctor may take tears samples to check whether you have reduced lactoferrin or elevated matrix metalloproteinase-9
Treatments for Dry Eye Syndrome:-
Below are some treatments that your doctors may suggest to you but it depends on the condition of your dry eyes
- Topical Cyclosporine A or Restasis Eye drops:- This eye drop can be suggested by a doctor twice daily in both eyes to cure the inflammation in the tear glands. with the help of this eye drop you can feel the increase in the quantity of tear production and improve their quality. it will take time nearly one to four months to lower the symptoms of dry eyes. Initially, you may feel a stinging sensation but it gets better gradually. there are some cases where your doctor may prescribe corticosteroid drops before the cyclosporine A. This drop you may use this for two weeks to decrease the stinging sensation.
- Teardrops and artificial ointments:- for soothing treatment, your doctor may prescribe you an artificial teardrop. it may relieve the symptoms for a few minutes. but if does not cure the underlying cause of dry eyes. if you suffer from severe dry eyes then you may need to use this drop even when your eyes are completely fine to provide sufficient lubrication. before going to sleep you can apply ointment. there could be the case of ocular rosacea and dry eyes then you may use a new artificial teardrop which consists of lipids that will prevent the evaporation of your tears
- Lifitegrast or Xiidra:- This eye drop may prescribe by the doctor to use twice a day in both eyes to cure the underlying inflammation in the tear glands
- Temporary Punctal Occlusion:- this doctor may conduct a temporary punctual occlusion, a painless process to close ducts and prevent tears from draining from the eyes. In this process, the doctor will insert a plug into the tear drain of your lower eyelid which will dissolve quickly. this test prescribes to check whether permanent plugs will relieve the symptoms of dry eyes
- Permanent Punctal Occlusion:- in this doctor use silicone plugs if the doctor feels that plugging will be crucial to maintain the eye’s health or find that the tear drains temporary plugging is working fine for your eyes. The use of these permanent plugs will hold the tears around your eyes
- Surgery:- Doctor may follow a surgical process to permanently close the duct that drains tears into your nose and to keep more tears around your eyes. and this is possible via local anesthetic
- Autologous Serum Drops:- if there is a person who suffers from chronic dry eyes then the doctor prepares artificial tears from your own serum and prescribes them to use six to eight times a day in each eye. but this treatment is too much expensive though effective in curing severe dry eye conditions
Preventive Measures for Dry Eyes Syndrome:-
Below are some tips to prevent dry eye syndrome
- Take breaks:- if you using a continuous computer then you should take a break and don’t forget to blink frequently
- Quit Smoking:- smoking can make your dry eye syndrome worse. so you should quit smoking if you do not smoke then avoid people who do.
- Wear sunglasses and use artificial teardrops:- when you go outside then you should wear sunglasses to prevent wind and sun. Also, use artificial teardrops frequently
- Do not blow dry in your eyes:- Always avoid your air dryers, car heaters, fans, or air conditioners toward your eyes
- Computer screen at best place:- when you keep your computer screen below your level then there is no need to open your eyes wide. this will help in lowering the evaporation of your tears
- Environment effects:- when you spend time in desert areas, at high altitudes, and in airplanes they can be very dry then you must close your eyes frequently to reduce the evaporation of tears. you should do this for a few minutes at a time.
- Take fish oil or alpha omega fatty acids:- you should take flaxseed oil, alpha omega- 3 fatty acids, or fish oil orally to improve your dry eye condition.
Dry eyes syndrome may make your eyes feel uncomfortable, although it hardly causes permanent vision loss. However, prevention is always better than cure; therefore, it is essential to keep all pointers mentioned above in mind to prevent such a condition from happening or reduce the symptoms.
Q1:- What is the major cause of dry eye syndrome?
Ans:- A dry, indoor environment. Contact lenses.
Q2:- How do you fix dry eye syndrome?
Ans:- The most common treatment is a type of eye drop called artificial tears.
Q3:- Can dry eyes be treated naturally?
Ans:- Eat (Naturally) Oily Fish