Schizophrenia is a type of mental disorder, in this people have confusing thoughts, sounds, and images as they lose touch with reality. it impacts daily life activities which tend to alter their behavioral patterns.
In this article, we will talk about What is Schizophrenia or psychosis syndrome, its types, causes, and treatments.
What is Schizophrenia:-
There are severe mental disorders. in Schizophrenia it affects the way you think, act, express, and relate. such as if in any situation when you are not able to differentiate between the real and the imaginary it result hurt your mind. it is a type of chronic mental disorder. who are diagnosed with this disease are often frightened and keep themselves from society.
This type of disorder is not curable it takes lifelong therapies to cope with this issue. but if you take early treatment then it helps prevent this situation from becoming complicated. so proper care, therapy, and treatment are all necessary to manage this issue.
Types of Schizophrenia:-
Following are the type of Schizophrenia
In this situation, the symptoms are delusions and hallucinations, behavioral impairment, and disorganized communication. it often develops in the later stages of life.
In this situation, you may be too active or remain calm. it features sudden or limited movements. also, you may mimic someone’s speech and their movement.
It mostly happens at the age of 15 to 25. In this situation there is no emotion in the voice, no facial expression, or no behavior activity it might be little but not much. some symptoms are hallucinations and delusions, unorganized talk, and inability to communicate.
If there is any history of Schizophrenia or psychosis then there could be the chances of residual schizophrenia which is higher. and this is due to many negative symptoms where the movement of the body is very slow. some symptoms are memory loss and poor hygiene.
This type of issue comes with some negative symptoms for example memory loss, concentration, hygiene, and movement slow. The positive symptoms which are not based on reality include delusions, hallucinations, and a confused mind.
When the behavioral patterns are similar to one and more then it is Undifferentiated Schizophrenia. such as if any symptoms of catatonic schizophrenia then you can also show some symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia.
In this situation there you may experience unusual sensations in the body. due to this situation, you may find affects the mind and hampers daily activities.
This happens to children between the age of 14 to 18 years. some symptoms are social withdrawal, delay in speaking, and unusual and abnormal movements.
Symptoms of Schizophrenia:-
Following are different symptoms of Schizophrenia
The symptoms vary from person to person. it comes with many symptoms like cognitive, positive, behavioral, and negative symptoms. most of the people diagnosed with this disorder have delusions, hallucinations, unorganized speech, and slow movement.
- Delusion:- There are imagined thoughts that are not real. such as you thought someone loves you or someone hurt you and many more.
- Hallucination:- In this, the symptoms include viewing and experiencing things that do not exist. if you have schizophrenia then you can tend to hallucinate as things appear normal to you.
- Unorganized speech:- In this, you provide incomplete or partial answers. it affects your speech. sometimes there are meaningless phrases that other people get difficulty comprehending.
- Abnormal Behaviour:- in this, the symptoms are abnormal appearances and childlike behaviors and do not have any moto. in this situation, you can find too many difficulties to complete any task. this pattern includes a lack of response, excessive and unusual movements, and not proper posture.
- Negative symptoms:- In this symptoms are poor hygiene, abnormal function, emotionless and low confident tone. also, you may lose interest in performing your daily activities.
As we got to know here these symptoms can reduce with care but some symptoms stay forever in you. the sign of this disorder is almost the same in child and adults. but there are some early signs which are
- Sudden performance drop in the school of child
- Speech impairment
- Trouble in sleep
- Withdrawal from family, society, and friends
- Depression, loneliness, and mood swings.
- There is a lack of motivation
Causes of Schizophrenia:-
There are no known reasons for Schizophrenia but here are some below causes
- Heredity:- If there is any person in the family with this disorder or any history then you may develop this. this can transfer from parent to child and is hereditary.
- Brain activity:- if anyone has this disorder can not be able to regulate the neurotransmitters or the brain chemicals. which control the nerve cells. so it will affect your behavioral and thinking patterns.
- Infections:- viral infections and toxins exposure tend to this disorder to delusions and hallucinations. also, there is no control over the body’s movement
Risk Factors of Schizophrenia:-
- It affects brain development during pregnancy and complications during birth like toxin exposure and poor nutrition
- Thoughts of suicide and self-harm
- Depression and stress
- Anxiety disorder
- Drug and alcohol abuse
- Many health issues
- Can not able to perform in school or work
Below are some ways for doctors who diagnose and confirm this disorder
- The doctor will go with a medical check-up to check the symptoms
- The doctor will ask you for blood and brain imaging tests like MRI and CT scans because there are no particular tests to diagnose this disorder
- The doctor can recommend you to a psychiatrist. the psychiatrist will ask you about your family history and can confirm if this disorder is genetic or not by asking about your mood swings, thoughts, behaviors, and hallucinations
The doctor will tell if you have this disease via many certain tools and techniques. then according to it doctor prescribed any therapies and medications.
The doctor in this case mostly prescribes medicines like antipsychotic drugs which control your brain’s neurotransmitter dopamine. but the doctor may do some experiments with many medications and medication combinations until they get any required results. when the doctor sees any improvement then only they proceed with another procedure. below are some medications and therapies which are used for schizophrenia treatment.
- There are some second-generation medications that lower the side effects caused after their consumption. these are asenapine, aripiprazole, lurasidone, olanzapine, cariprazine etc.
- The side effects like movement disorder or tardive dyskinesia come from the first generation psychotics these including haloperidol, fluphenazine, chlorpromazine, and perphenazine
- Injections can be given as medications too but under a doctor’s prescription. these injections are given every two to four weeks. injections include – haloperidol decanoate, aripiprazole, paliperidone, fluphenazine, and risperidone.
after consuming medicines the psychosis reduces then the doctor recommends some therapies and training to manage its symptoms
- Individual Therapy:- this kind of session helps you to control and cope with your stress. between these processes, you can easily understand its early symptoms and can identify its warning signs
- Family Therapy:- the doctor will give sessions to your family members on the causes and to find this disorder so that they can find the signs and symptoms and help you manage the illness.
- Social skills:- in this training, your skills, hobbies, and your talents can polish via regular activities. it will help you to improve your communication and will allow you to interact socially and participate in daily activities.
- Electroconvulsive therapy:- This is a kind of last option when any drugs and therapies fail to reduce this disorder. and it is helpful mainly when you have depression and stress
so learning all about these diseases you should avoid alcohol and consumption of drugs. you should try to indulge in daily activities and learn stress management help to reduce and manage schizophrenia to some extent.
When should go to the doctor?
Below is when you must consult your doctor
- Any aggressive behavior that turns violent or harms someone
- Suicidal thoughts and attempts or hurt yourself
- Hamper any relation and workflow because of any specific behavioral patterns
- No control over behavioral patterns
As we discussed above that there is no specific way to prevent schizophrenia but your doctor will suggest that you should stick to the treatment plans and should attend therapy sessions to help manage this disorder. it will be best if this disease is diagnosed and treated at the earliest.
So here now you have a full detailed article about Schizophrenia. so in case you find anyone who has these similar symptoms then be sure to help that person by telling to their family members and taking that person to a doctor.
Q1:- What are the 3 symptoms of schizophrenia?
Ans:- delusions, hallucinations, disorganized speech
Q2:- What causes schizophrenia?
Ans:- a combination of physical, genetic, psychological, and environmental factors
Q3:- What is the best treatment for schizophrenia?
Ans:- cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
Q4:- Can schizophrenia be cured?
Ans:- There is no cure for schizophrenia, but this disorder can be successfully treated and managed.
Q5:- Why do schizophrenics sleep so much?
Ans:- Due to neurobiological changes, sleep disorders are symptoms of Schizophrenics
Also, Read about Guduchi:- What is Dyspnoea- 4 types of Dyspnoea, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment