COPD’s full form is Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disease. This disease is mainly caused by smoking. you must know if there is anyone diagnosed with this disease then what foods should eat to keep the condition of this disease under control. so in this article, we will discuss about Best Diet for COPD Patients.
What Is a COPD Diet?
There are many research where that show that the disease COPD can not be cured by foods but a certain diet can help this disease under control. so the Best Diet for COPD Patients is a diet that high in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory foods, and low carb diet with high fat. A COPD diet also includes vitamins, proteins, etc that are also good for health.
Role of Diet for COPD Patients:-
The diet affects COPD patients in many ways:-
- The COPD patient used lung muscles in breathing 10 times more calories than those who are not with this condition. so it means they need more energy than others.
- COPD Patients have too much carbon dioxide in their bodies so those patients feel very weak. so it means those patients should avoid taking carbohydrates as they produce more amount of carbon dioxide. so they must take a diet with higher fats and low in carbohydrates which help in breathing much better.
- COPD patients should take a diet that high rich in anti-inflammatory foods and antioxidants because they are more prone to infections.
- Patients with COPD disease should manage their weight because being overweight puts lots of excess pressure on the lungs.
Best Diet for COPD Patients:-
Now we will talk about the Best diet for COPD Patients:-
Below is a food list:-
COPD patients require nearly 30 to 40 grams of fiber from foods such as:-
Minerals and Vitamins:-
They need supplements and vitamins because COPD patients take steroids. they must take calcium for their health but always consult your doctor before adding any vitamins to your diet.
Mono and Polyunsaturated fats:-
These kind of fats do not contain any cholesterol. so they are very beneficial for the COPD diet. these are sunflower oils, corn oils, and canola.
Food rich in potassium:-
Potassium deficiency can cause breathing issues so it is important for COPD patient to add potassium-rich foods to their diet. some foods are:-
- Leafy vegetables
As we know the requirement of water in a day is about 8 ounces. more water should be taken by COPD patients so that mucus will be thin and can be easily removed. take non-caffeinated drinks during your whole day.
Foods rich in protein:-
A healthy diet for COPD Patients includes eggs, meat, poultry, and oily fish like mackerel, salmon, and sardines.
COPD patients should take these above-given foods in their diet but should consult a dietician for the proportion of the foods.
Foods avoided for a COPD diet:-
Now we will talk about those foods that should not be included in the COPD diet.
Do not include simple sugars such as table sugar, drinks, and cakes in the COPD diet.
Food like cookies, pastries, butter, and fat from animals should be avoided.
Too much taking of sodium can cause edema or swelling and it will be harmful to the patients. so you should consult your doctor to get information about salt intake.
The recommended diet for COPD:-
- Drink full of protein:– can take a substitute for protein-rich drinks in your food. it will keep you fuller for longer.
- Smaller Meals:- you should take smaller meals instead of larger meals because it puts less pressure on the body. you can take meals around five to six in a day. it reduces the pressure on the lungs.
- Eat the main Meal first:- you should take your main meals earlier in the day so that you will feel more energetic throughout your day.
We hope you now have all about the COPD diet. anyone who has any questions may reach out to us through our contact form.